Friday, May 18, 2012

Gum Eyeball

My kindergarten students love making this gum ball machine.  It is an exercise in shapes and sharing.  The original idea came from Doug Vitarius. The picture goes with the Shell Silverstien poem "Gum Eyeball".  Originally, I used a white circle and a red trapezoid for the gum ball machine.  But like many others my schedule is so tight, I don't have time to cut all those shapes. 
So this year I am trying it with tracers.  I am using plastic lids (cool whip, etc) and scrap cardboard I cut into a trapezoid.  Students will trace a lid and the trapezoid with a pencil. Great for fine motor skills.  With permanent pen we will outline and add details, then color.  I drew the eyeball on this one.  I may surprise them, and glue a large wiggle eye instead if time allows.
Each table gets one box of paint markers to make the gumballs.  As I demonstrate how to use the paint dotters, I talk about how important sharing is.  If we don't share, no one can have all the gumball colors!  Sharing is a way to show caring and friendship.  Those are both good feelings to have in our class!
When they are finished, I will mount each 9x12 drawing on a 12x18 colred paper with a copy of the poem centered underneath. 


No comments:

Post a Comment